How long is a piece of string? There are many variables at play when considering the ideal deposit to make your house purchase, but the primary one is most likely to be “What is the minimum deposit I can get away with to buy this house?”

Most of us, especially in our early years in the housing market, stretch ourselves to buy the best house we can afford. This is usually a balancing act between location, size and then add-ons like off street parking, garage, extra bedroom… swimming pool? OK, so most of us have to wait a while for the pool, but a minimum number of bedrooms and a location near a decent school are probably high on most family’s wish lists.

Post Credit Crunch, mortgage lenders are under a greater obligation than ever to make sure that the loans they make are affordable. They are also keen to see their customers putting some of their own money into the purchase. Therefore, at present, you will be required to put down a minimum of 5% of the purchase price, leaving 95% on mortgage.

In simple terms, the more deposit you can scrape together, the better the mortgage terms and the better the interest rate you are likely to obtain. Also, with a larger deposit you are of course borrowing less and there is therefore less to pay back and mortgage repayments will be cheaper.

The best deals on the market will usually require a 40% deposit, but with most first time buyers having between 5% and 20% to put down, there are mortgages to suit all. Of course, this is only part of the equation.

For an initial, no obligation, discussion to clarify your options why contact us or call now on 01628 507477.

Recent posts

Everyone has their own traditions at Christmas time, but we have put this short blog together to help you get ready for the festive period ahead.

Budgeting is an essential tool in managing finances. You can track your income and expenses, save money, and achieve goals. 

Getting a mortgage when you are self-employed can be tricky, but it certainly isn’t impossible.

There isn’t such a thing as a “self-employed mortgage” - you will be applying for the same mortgages as anyone else. The main difference is you will be required to provide more evidence of a reliable income.

Stress-Busting Tips

25 Oct 2023

We have written a short blog of some stress busting ideas that you may want to put into practice, whether you're in the process of buying a property, or not, you may find these tips and techniques helpful.

Why have interest rates been increasing? when will they go down? And what does this mean for you?

We have created this short guide to provide self-care tips to support your physical and mental health.

Selling up? It’s important to make your house as appealing as possible to potential buyers. Good decorating can help with first impressions, and increase the perceived value of your property.