Energy performance certificates (EPC) are now required whenever a property is built, sold or let. The certificate was introduced by the UK government in an effort to encourage the improvement of energy efficiency in the nation’s housing stock.

You must have an Energy Performance Certificate before you start marketing your property. They usually cost somewhere between £50 and £100 + VAT.

Buildings that don’t need an EPC include:

  • places of worship
  • temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
  • stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres
  • industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • listed buildings - you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
  • residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year

Qualified energy assessors active in England and Wales can be found here - Find a Domestic Energy Assessor.

There is an EPC register where you can check on a property’s EPC. It is also possible to opt to not have your EPC shown on the register.

Download our Free First Time Buyers Guide

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

There will be no fee for Mortgage Advice. There may be a fee for arranging a mortgage. The precise amount will depend upon your circumstances, but we estimate it to be between £399 and £599.

Mortgage Required Ltd, Finance House, 5 Bath Road, Maidenhead, SL6 4AQ is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority reference 573718 at

The Financial Ombudsman Service is an agency for arbitrating on unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. More detail can be found on their website: