We will all experience some tragedy or difficulty in our lifetime, either financial (perhaps the loss of one’s job or the loss of money due to legal action or an unforeseen calamity), physical or mental health or even, eventually, one’s death. After all, there are only two things certain in life, so they say; death and taxes. But perhaps there are three things - death, taxes - and the subsequent need to keep up your mortgage repayments!

Failure to keep up repayments on your mortgage is likely to result, eventually, in the repossession of your home. It is, therefore, of critical importance that you make provision for your mortgage repayment in all circumstances.

If you have dependents it becomes more important to protect your home in the event that you are no longer able to keep up mortgage repayments because you are unable to work - or you are no longer here! This is where mortgage protection can help.

There are a variety of different types of protection available to you and if you have a mortgage it’s worth considering which type best suits you and your family.

In brief, there are products available to pay your estate (or a selected third party) a fixed sum on death. This might be for the amount of the mortgage or a larger or smaller sum. In many cases a lender will require a borrower to take out a life Insurance or Assurance Policy when entering into a mortgage agreement.

In addition, you are able to insure for the consequences of poor health. The types of critical illness insurance vary and revolve around either a fixed lump sum or a periodic payment.

The lump sum is usually calculated so as to be able to repay the outstanding loan and help the family to live after the insured risk has taken place (i.e. a serious heart condition or cancer). If you are ill or diagnosed with one of several chronic and debilitating or even fatal illnesses the policy will make a payment. The terms vary, but the advantage to this type of cover is that a lump sum or monthly payment is made whether you die or not - thus covering the period of illness and protecting your home and family during what is already a terribly painful time for all concerned.

You can also insure against the loss of your job - a risk that is now significantly higher than it might have been 40 or more years ago. It’s worth noting though that this type of insurance usually pays out only after an initial period of time has elapsed (perhaps 6 or 12 months) and so you must be confident that you can cover repayments in the interim.

For more details on the types of risk you can insure against and what best suits your particular circumstance and needs, take a look at our Insurance Products or contact us on 01628 507477.

Related articles:


Download our Free First Time Buyers Guide

Recent posts

Selling up? It’s important to make your house as appealing as possible to potential buyers. Good decorating can help with first impressions, and increase the perceived value of your property.

With the cost of living affecting so many of us, we have made a list of budget-friendly activities and ideas for you.

Moving soon? It's never too early to get organised! Be prepared and avoid unwanted stress by checking out our list of tips to get you ready for moving day.

Inflation simply put, is the increase in the price of something over time. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) tracks the prices of hundreds of everyday items and these items are updated to reflect shopping trends.

We are often asked if it's good advice to consolidate “unsecured” debt (credit cards and loans etc) into your mortgage, the answer is, sometimes

When you’re looking to buy a home, and you own a car, you ideally want to know the rules on parking in the area. Parking rules can be confusing, even for the most experienced of drivers! This is why we have written this blog to help you.

There are several potential sources you can consider when it comes to getting together a deposit to buy a property. Providing proof of the source of your deposit is a key requirement in the application process and will need to be given to both the lender and the solicitor.